Skip to main content

5 Things That Happen to you when you Become a Vegan.

Hi and welcome to Vegan Prose, if you could take a minute to follow us on Facebook and Instagram where you can keep up to date on the latest blogs and news. 



Have you heard of The Vegan Kind? I just signed up for my first box- I'm very excited for it to come, it is a lifestyle box, a beauty box and a supermarket! I have joined their affiliate programme so, just so you know, if you buy something I might get a small percentage.

The Vegan Kind


Here are the 5 things that happen to you when becoming a vegan. I hope you enjoy this blog in the lighthearted way it was intended.


Your eyes are opened

 

If you are vegan for the animals you've probably had the blinders removed in a rather unseasonable fashion. Perhaps, like me, you were watching a documentary for your health and stumbled upon atrocities you could no longer ignore.
Perhaps your story is closer to one of my friends, who was simply scrolling her social media feed and came across a video about pigs being sent to the slaughterhouse, it haunted her (the crying especially, she said) and she thought about it for two days straight....and became vegan. 



In the time I have been vegan I have made an effort to learn the facts, and even though I can't face watching documentaries such as Cowspiracy, Dominion and Earthlings....I know the facts and statistics behind them and understand the pain and suffering that is happening. I find it helps me to know a few statistics for the inevitable jibes, or if people are generally interested in Veganism.
It's hard to believe there was a time when I didn't realise what was happening, or perhaps I knew and buried my head in the sand, but I certainly didn't understand the depth it had gone....because as soon as I found out I stopped buying all meat, dairy and eggs. That day. And I haven't looked back. 

I go easy on people though...because the whole industry works on making people ignorant of what is happening, by showing them green beautiful fields full of cows that need milking. By placing huge (incompreshensably huge) factory farms full of pigs far, far out of sight. Even now they are trying to pass stricter laws....not to stop the pain and suffering of animals, but to make sure those brave activists can't capture it on film and show it to the consumers. And really...we should know where our food comes from.



Your story of how you became vegan might be a variation of these, or something completely different, but at some point you CHOSE to be vegan....and you know why you did this, which leads on to my second point....

**Incidently, I think hearing how people became vegan is one of the most interesting stories, so please do leave a comment of your personal story below.**

You realise you have power as a consumer



I never really thought I had any power over the companies/supermarkets etc, I didn't especially buy big brand names and figured they would get the meat/milk/cheese in anyway …but, oh how my view has changed.

I'm sure you have seen yourself how the 7%-10% of us are changing the brands and supermarket stock. They are listening to us, and if they don't listen, we make them! Supply and demand is, after all, good business practice and if we are demanding two vegan mayos- that's what we get (ideally we'd have more and I think the Hellman's launch will see the price decrease and other own brands pop up in due course)



In all seriousness, I have stopped buying all meat, dairy and eggs, and I actively purchase vegan alternative such as plant based milk and ice cream. I try to buy anything that says it is specifically vegan at least once to show my support (Hello, Vegan Cornetto's!) and I am really starting to realise the power we have, not just as a group, but as individuals too! And that is pretty empowering.



You start to look further than your food, to  hygiene products, clothes...even transport.

I have always tried to shop cruelty free (how ironic that a cruelty free product can contain animal product...surely that mere fact negates it!) but when I became vegan, I obviously had to reaccess my hygiene products, clothes, accessories- everything. I'm lucky in that I never wore fur or any large amounts of leather or wool. Everything went, except I do have a pair of Doc Marten Heel Boots (that I bought second hand) that are leather. Obviously, this isn't ideal for a vegan to walk around in leather- but- I marched into Doc Marten and bought the 'matching' vegan satchel bag and when they are worn out I will buy the vegan alternative. If people ask I explain they were bought before I became vegan and that there are cruelty free options available, I hope you'll agree that as long as I don't purchase new leather I am not contributing to the market and as a vegan I am actively boycotting animal products.
Thank goodness Converse are 'accidentally vegan' is all I can say!



I have easily managed to find vegan shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, deodorant (the one I used was already vegan and I didn't know- Soft and Gentle) and much more. Most of this research was already done by the wonderful Vegan Womble – more about them later.

One thing that has surprised me is that there is leather everywhere! I was contemplating buying a new bike and was looking at a Pendleton, when my partner pointed out that the seat and handlebars were leather! Something I hadn't even thought of! 
This rings true when buying a new car too. Veganism is a lifestyle and if I'm not willing to have animal product in my food, I shouldn't be willing to have my arse on it while I drive to work! 

There are, of course many alternatives and I have yet to find something that doesn't have a vegan alternative (albeit they are often far more expensive!) or of course, that I was willing to give up in the name of the cause.



Is there something in your life you haven't been able to find a vegan alternative to?

You talk about your diet a lot more and are more self aware



Yeah. This is an interesting one. I've never really been one to talk about my diet, but people are so damn interested as to where I get my protein! Or what supplements I take....or what I actually eat!! I have gotten more used to it now and I politely explain as best I can in as little words as possible that I get my protein from plants, that I don't need to take a supplement but I choose to take a Veg1 pill and that there are approximately 1,000 to 2,000 species of plants are edible by humans and that I am much happier with my variety of food.



I was so surprised by the amount of vegan options available, and with even more coming out weekly (Iceland, thirteen 100% plant based meal options!) it's easy to get a full freezer, and a full belly! I'm focusing more on a plant based diet now, as I feel it will help my health and the environment more and trying to have those special vegan biscuits or dairy free fudge on rare occasions. But, at the end of the day, I am no 'health freak' and I am vegan for the animals first. 



You make new friends....



I mentioned the Vegan Womble earlier, and I want to tell you about a fantastic place on the internet where everyone is friendly and help each other out, and if you have a question there are approx 7500 members to help you with your problem! This is the 'Vegan Womble Community Chatroom UK' on Facebook

If you are vegan or thinking of transitioning, I highly recommend joining and introducing yourself and your story, you'll be met by warm welcomes and hearty 'hello's. 



Thanks for reading, comment your story below! Check back every Friday for a new blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to spot a fake Vendula London Bag - the vegan friendly bags with style! Tips and tricks for spotting counterfeit handbags online

 "Where did you get that bag?"  Vendula London is on online and in store brand that offer unique and wonderful bags, purses and accessories. I first found them while trying to find a unique bag for a special event and have become slightly obsessed with their unique designs!  The mix of printed and stitched design on their signature shopfront style bags offer a daring, different style. With a large array of bag shapes and designs, you can easily find the style and shape that suits you. Many styles hold lots of items easily, with a surprising amount of pockets and zips. Vendula London has earned it's place alongside the many popular brands which see the life cycle of their products continue long after they are sold out or 'retired' from the shelf. Sought after bags can reach well over twice their original retail price on auction sites and Facebook groups. Styles like The Piano Bar, The Biscuit Shop, The Book Shop and The Sewing Shop are rare and popular, as well as

Gorgeous Christmas T-shirts, sweatshirts and more from NEW Etsy shop Print Shop Revolution!

I don't know about you, but, I often find myself in my Novelty Christmas Jumper- hot, sweaty and uncomfortable.... (unlike this gorgeous Charles Spaniel who looks spiffingly cosy!)   It might be my neuro-divergent brain, or that time I spent Christmas in New Zealand and there was a heatwave, but, I much prefer a nice, breezy shirt to show off my Christmas spirit! In recent years, I have collected Christmas shirts , including bauble prints and Santa and reindeer patterns- but when I saw PrintShopRevolutions 'Cat stuck in fairy-lights' print I fell in love. Photo: Vegan Prose Get This Shirt Here.  This new shop is based in Texas, but there is still plenty of time for UK customers to get their orders in! Shop owner, Taylor very kindly gifted me a t-shirt to review and I couldn't be happier with it, it is true to size, vivid and well made. The quality of this shirt is perfect, I choose red for the festiveness and so it matched my hair, but there are an array of colours to

Autumn Etsy Finds - Vegan friendly gifts and treats for those autumnal cosy evenings - self care, fall season

  It is the first of October- and we have officially entered Autumn (shrieks in orange) - it is truly my fave season and brings so much joy, I hope I can share some with you today- I have been celebrating for over a month. I love the cosy nights, wrapped in a blanket, reading a book. I have had so much tea already this autumn and it sees no sign of stopping! The lovely people at Etsy have asked me to do another blog and I wanted to share with you some of the amazing autumn products on Etsy , all from small businesses! The ones I have chosen are all in the UK to help the environment and shop local, but Etsy actually offsets its CO2 emissions in its postage which is amazing!  Find the Editors Picks here , or check out the autumnal items below. I'll be updating the whole Faves here . Let's start with a gorgeous, handmade pumpkin light - this is available in 3 different sizes and a variety of colours- this is perfect fall aesthetic! It's lit. (sorry) Next, these beautiful  wax